- Learning Commons
Learning Commons / Tutoring
Welcome! The Learning Commons at Navarro College provides a comprehensive approach to student learning. The Learning Commons provides instruction from both Navarro professors, peer mentors, and the Learning Commons staff. This range of available academic help allows the student to stay on track with the professor’s schedule, while at the same time providing instruction in a safe, confidential environment.
Peer mentors understand your frustrations, and quite often, have used the services provided by the Learning Commons at some point in the past. Peer mentors have taken the classes they tutor, and thus, they know the material and the instructor’s expectations. But at the same time, they are your peers. They are students that go to the same school, attend the same classes, and listen to the same music.
TUTORING SERVICES ARE FREE TO NC STUDENTS
Meet with a peer tutor to:
- Create a study system
- Work on time management
- Improve textbook reading and notetaking
- Better understand the content in challenging courses
WHAT DOES PEER TUTORING DO FOR ME?
- Offers more individualized, systematic, structured learning experience.
- The Learning Commons is a community dedicated to learning excellence.
- Provides greater congruence between teacher and learner.
- Improves academic performance and personal growth.
- Improves attitude toward subject area.
- Generates stronger effects than other individualized teaching strategies.
- Motivates self-paced and self-directed learning.
- Peer tutors help the student to work toward self-responsibility and self-direction.
- Improves self-esteem.
- Peer tutors “speak the same language” and can connect with the student.
“10 tutoring hours over a 14-week semester were associated with a 1/3-letter course grade improvement, while 20 hours were associated with a full letter-grade improvement.” – Munley, V.G., Garvey, E., & McConnell, M.J. (2010) “The Effectiveness of Peer Tutoring on Student Achievement at the University Level, American Economic Review: Papers & Proceedings, 100, 277-282.
Check out the resources page for all your tutoring needs.